Personnel Advisory Board
Risk Management Home
City of Oak Ridge Home
Current City Job Openings
You can receive an application by walk-in, email, or write to the Personnel Department, City of Oak Ridge, Municipal Building, P.O. Box 1, 200 S. Tulane Ave., Oak Ridge, TN 37831-0001, or telephone the office at (865) 425-3564. The Personnel Department email address
. You may also click
to download a copy of our application. Your application will be accepted at any time by mail,
, or during regular office hours,
, Monday through Friday. Resumes may be forwarded to the Personnel Department at the above address. You need only one application to be considered for all vacant jobs that you qualify for. You must fill out the application form completely, and all statements on the form are subject to verification.
SALARY RANGE: $80,433.60 - $90,584.00
Primary Job Tasks:
• Plans, coordinates, prioritizes and reviews work of assigned department staff which includes supervision, evaluation, training and coordination of performance schedules and duties.
• Oversees functions which may include purchasing, warehousing, utility plant accounting and budgeting, accounts payable, and/or other areas of financial and accounting management.
• Formulates and maintains budget projections for various utility functions.
• Establishes City Labor and Equipment Overhead Rates.
• Oversees, prepares and/or reviews City utility and fixed asset accounting functions, including electric plant accounting.
• Responsibility for the City’s adherence to TVA accounting and reporting requirements.
• Reviews, prepares and analyzes various monthly, annual and/or special reports including monthly and annual reporting requirements to TVA.
• Analyzes and designs computer enhancement capabilities.
• Prepares work papers and liaisons with auditors on applicable items related to the annual external audit.
• Analyzes and reviews costs distributed through allocation software package which includes such items as depreciation expense, tax equivalents, and cost transfers between funds.
• Works with IT to ensure integrity of computer reports and customer account status related to utility billing accounts.
• Assists other departments with financial software support and adjustments as requested and designs special monthly reports and queries.
• Assists with the development of City administrative policies and other financial or internal control policies. Enforces applicable policies and procedures including City Code Ordinance and State and Federal Regulations.
• Maintains relationship and communication with other State and Federal agencies, including TVA.
• Performs special projects other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Knowledge in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) and Governmental Accounting Standard Board (GASB) Statements.
• Knowledge in FERC accounting, TVA billing rate structures and TVA reporting requirements.
• Knowledge of Federal, State and municipal laws, codes, ordinances and regulations.
• Knowledge of procurement principles and inventory accounting methods
• Knowledge of management and supervisory principles and practices.
• Knowledge of computer software including word processing, spreadsheet and database.
• Skill in analyzing and interpreting fiscal and accounting records and preparing clear and concise financial and administrative reports.
• Skill in effectively managing, supervising and evaluating assigned staff.
• Skill in maintaining complex accounting records and an effective record keeping system.
• Skill in establishing and implementing policies and procedures.
Skill in effective oral and written communications.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with associate personnel, other City employees and the general public.
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field
• Seasoned, hands on supervisory/management experience of ten plus (10+) years and five (5) years or more experience in governmental/utility accounting; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Preference for working knowledge of TVA billing rate structures and TVA reporting requirements.
• Must possess State of Tennessee Driver’s License.
Individuals interested in this position must have a completed application form on file in the Personnel Department by
12:00 noon on Wednesday, June 26, 2019
FIRE FIGHTER – TRAINEE AND FIREFIGHTER/ENGINEER
The City of Oak Ridge is accepting applications for the positions of Fire Fighter – Trainee and Fire Fighter/Engineer
. All applicants, particularly women and minorities, interested in becoming an Oak Ridge Fire Fighter Engineer are strongly encouraged to apply at this time.
POSITIONS: Fire Fighter – Trainee AND Fire Fighter Engineer
STARTING SALARY: $33,458.88 per year for Trainees and $34,448.96 for Engineers before standard deductions plus supplemental pay with EMT or Paramedic certification.
1. At least 18 years of age with high school diploma or equivalent
2. Honorable Discharge from Military Service (if applicable)
3. Excellent physical condition with weight in proportion to height
4. Excellent moral character and free of criminal conviction record
5. Able to pass a physical agility test, psychological evaluation, background investigation and medical examination and drug screening
6. Have or able to obtain Tennessee Driver's License within 30 days of appointment and must have a telephone/cell phone
All persons interested in this position should have a current application and/or resume on file with the Personnel Department no later than
12:00 noon, Wednesday, May 29, 2019.
SUMMER RECREATION POSITIONS
Recreation Leaders and Lifeguards
The City of Oak Ridge is accepting applications for Summer Camp and Swimming Pool positions for 2019. All applicants must be at least age 16 and certified to apply for lifeguard positions and must be at least age 18 and one year of college to apply for summer camp positions. The minimum salary will be at least $9.06 per hour. All applicants are subject to drug screening, background investigation and driver license check. Applications are available in the Personnel Department in the Municipal Building, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday or online at www.oakridgetn.gov. Applications received by Friday, March 1,
will be reviewed and considered for summer openings before those received after that date.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF POSITION RECRUITMENT/IMMEDIATE NEED
SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD
$ 10.00 per hour before deductions for Social Security and FIT
DESIRABLE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. UTK, KC, PSTCC or RSCC student, part-time Schools employee, retiree, homemaker or other individuals with flexibility in arranging their personal schedules.
2. Must be able to work 10 hours per week – Mornings 7:45 to 8:45 a.m. Monday thru Friday; Afternoons 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. except Wednesdays when hours are 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
3. Must be at least age 18.
4. Must be in good physical condition since position involves working in all types of weather conditions.
5. Must have ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with children and the general public.
6. Applicants are subject to background investigation and drug screening.
If interested in this type of employment, please place an application on file with the Personnel Department.
Electric Line Technician (Lineman)
Entry level - $38.26 per hour/$79,580.80 annually
PRIMARY JOB TASKS:
Works with various Electric Department crews in installing or repairing high voltage electrical distribution system components, electrical meters, traffic signals and controllers, and electric fixtures in City facilities. Must perform both underground and overhead work.
1. High school diploma or GED with basic knowledge of trigonometry and a basic understanding of the principles of electricity.
2. Must have successfully completed a four-year electric lineman apprenticeship training program.
3. Completion of an electric line tech program with an apprenticeship program and specialty in electric metering.
4. Possession, or ability to obtain within six months of appointment, a valid Tennessee Class A Commercial Driver's License with air brakes endorsement. The ability to manipulate the controls of large trucks and backhoes.
5. Physical ability to lift and hold fifty (50) pounds to the shoulder level; to work in all weather conditions and on all types of terrain; and to tolerate heights and confined areas. Manual dexterity which permits the use of hand tools while wearing size 8 or larger high voltage gloves. Physical ability to climb electrical poles. Good peripheral vision and adequate hearing (natural or corrected). A lack of
sensitivity to insects and various weather and environmental conditions.
6. The ability to operate various types of construction equipment including backhoes, dump trucks, digger-derrick trucks, bucket trucks
7. The ability to work safely close to energized high voltage cables, wire, and equipment, and to work as a member of a team.
8. The ability to interact effectively with supervisors, co-workers
the public and to closely follow oral and written instructions.
9. Must pass
evaluation and drug screening prior to appointment. Subject to random alcohol and drug testing throughout employment.
Qualified individuals interested in this position should contact the Personnel Department at 865-425-3564.
THE CITY OF OAK RIDGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
INCLUDING THE DISABLED