Personnel Advisory Board
Risk Management Home
City of Oak Ridge Home
Current City Job Openings
You can receive an application by walk-in, email, or write to the Personnel Department, City of Oak Ridge, Municipal Building, P.O. Box 1, 200 S. Tulane Ave., Oak Ridge, TN 37831-0001, or telephone the office at (865) 425-3564. The Personnel Department email address is:
. You may also click
to download a copy of our application. Your application will be accepted at any time by mail,
, or during regular office hours, 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Resumes may be forwarded to the Personnel Department at the above address. You need only one application to be considered for all vacant jobs that you qualify for. You must fill out the application form completely, and all statements on the form are subject to verification.
Director of Community Development (Vacancy due to retirement)
$69,804.80 - $104,686.00 per year before standard deductions
PRIMARY JOB TASKS:
Under the general direction of the City Manager, performs administrative management work I planning and directing all functions of the Community Development Department. This position serves as the City’s primary authority on building codes, subdivision regulation, planning and zoning.
1. Responsible for all activities in the Community Development Department including planning, zoning and codes enforcement. Position includes supervision of staff, recommending and implementing policy and standards for the level of service and developing and updating procedures.
2. Responsible for oversight and supervision of nine (9) full-time staff members’ daily activities and new construction plats.
3. Selects, trains, evaluates, schedules and assigns job duties for subordinates and maintains various employee-related records.
4. Initiates, researches, evaluates, recommends and reviews development proposals and land use plans; meets with applicants involved in City and/or private development projects; and selects and oversees outside consultants' work on City projects.
5. Prepares annual departmental operating budget of 1.3 million dollars and recommends capital improvements.
6. Maintains liaison with various department heads, responds to inquiries and complaints, and maintains contact with citizens, developers, attorneys and various City boards especially the City Council appointed Planning Commission.
DESIRABLE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Graduation from college or university with Master's Degree in Planning, Public Administration or related field with considerable progressively responsible experience in urban planning and ten (10) years’ experience in municipal planning or community development; five (5) of which must be in a supervisory capacity. AICP designation required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
1. Knowledge of community development principles and practices, urban planning theories, comprehensive planning and statistical principles and practices.
2. Effective oral and written communication skills with ability to gather data, organize facts, draw conclusions and develop recommendations.
3. Ability to deal with general public with tact and diplomacy as well as ability to work effectively with other employees.
4. Good organizational and supervisory skills in assigning tasks and directing staff.
5. Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, ArcGIS and other current planning software.
6. Ability to develop innovative regulatory approaches to achieving the City's goals.
Interested applicants should have a completed employment application and/or resume on file with the Personnel Department by
12:00 noon, Friday, June 2, 2017.
PLEASE VISIT THE LINK
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE POSITION AND THE CITY OF OAK RIDGE:
SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD (vacancy due to resignation)
: $ 10.00 per hour before deductions for
Social Security and FIT
DESIRABLE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. UTK, KC, PSTCC or RSCC student, part-time Schools employee, retiree, homemaker or other individuals with flexibility in arranging their personal schedules.
2. Must be able to work 10 hours per week – Mornings 7:45 to 8:45 a.m. Monday thru Friday; Afternoons 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. except Wednesdays when hours are 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
3. Must be at least age 18.
4. Must be in good physical condition since position involves working in all types of weather conditions.
5. Must have ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with children and the general public.
6. Applicants are subject to background investigation and drug screening.
If interested in this type of employment, please place an application on file with the Personnel Department.
Electric Line Technician (Lineman) – Vacancy due to retirement
25 – Starting Salary $24.86 - $28.23 per hour depending on qualifications
PRIMARY JOB TASKS:
Works with various Electric Department crews in installing or repairing high voltage electrical distribution system components, electrical meters, traffic signals and controllers, and electric fixtures in City facilities. Must perform both underground and overhead work.
1. High school diploma or GED with basic knowledge of trigonometry and a basic understanding of the principles of electricity.
2. Must have successfully completed a four-year electric lineman apprenticeship training program.
3. Possession, or ability to obtain within six months of appointment, a valid Tennessee Class A Commercial Driver's License with air brakes endorsement. The ability to manipulate the controls of large trucks and backhoes.
4. Physical ability to lift and hold fifty (50) pounds to the shoulder level; to work in all weather conditions and on all types of terrain; and to tolerate heights and confined areas. Manual dexterity which permits the use of hand tools while wearing size 8 or larger high voltage gloves. Physical ability to climb electrical poles. Good peripheral vision and adequate hearing (natural or corrected). A lack of life threatening sensitivity to insects and various weather and environmental conditions.
5. The ability to operate various types of construction equipment including backhoes, dump trucks, digger-derrick trucks, bucket trucks and trenchers.
6. The ability to work safely close to energized high voltage cables, wire, and equipment, and to work as a member of a team.
7. The ability to interact effectively with supervisors, co-workers and the public and to closely follow oral and written instructions.
8. Must pass medical evaluation and drug screening prior to appointment. Subject to random alcohol and drug testing throughout employment.
Individuals interested in this position must file an employment application/resume on file with the Personnel Department.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
THE CITY OF OAK RIDGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
INCLUDING THE DISABLED