Service Information

Call 865-425-1803 to report a power outage or if you have an urgent request!

Please do not send an email to report your power is out. Our outage response system is triggered via telephone communication. The city's emergency dispatch center will answer the phone after business hours and on the weekends.

Please be prepared to give the address of the outage and a phone number where you can be contacted. Because the dispatcher is also taking police and fire emergencies, they normally have limited time to discuss the outage.

Need New Service?

If you are building in Oak Ridge, you may have questions regarding temporary construction power, routing your electrical service, choosing the best location for your transformer and meter base, calling for inspections, and getting the proper permits.

The Engineering Division, phone 865-425-1803, is available to assist you through the process.

To set up a new account or start/stop/transfer electric service to an existing meter,

please contact the Utility Business Office at 865-425-3400.

Common Scams

Please be aware that the City does not contact its customers and request payment over the phone. Our notices are sent in writing through the mail. Should someone contact you or someone you know claiming that a utility bill is unpaid, hang up immediately and contact your utility provider directly. In Oak Ridge, call 865-425-3400. Please be aware that we will not disconnect power on Fridays or any day that immediately precedes a holiday (such as Christmas Eve).

Critical Customer Info

Customers on life support systems such as oxygen and ventilators are eligible to receive a notification when power outages are expected to exceed 8 hours.

If you or someone you know would like to be added to the critical care customer list, please call 425-1803 and ask for Brian Baxter. Please be prepared to share: your name, address, the type of life support equipment involved, a phone number, and the name and phone number of an emergency contact (other than yourself).

A letter from your doctor verifying life support requirements is required.

In the event of a prolonged outage, we will make every attempt to contact you so that arrangements can be made for your medical needs. If we are unable to contact you, the fire department or police department may be dispatched to perform a welfare check.

The City of Oak Ridge Electric Department offers different options for generating your own power or purchasing green power.

Green Power Providers (GPP)

As of January 1st, 2020, TVA will not accept new applicants for the Green Power Providers program. Customers that have already applied prior to January 1st and customers that are already under a contract will not be affected.

Find more information about GPP.

Green Power Switch

Green Power Switch allows you to purchase renewable energy generated in the Tennessee Valley for as little as $4 more on your monthly bill. No contracts and no installation-just an additional charge on your monthly electric bill. You can support wind, solar and biogas renewable resources, and breathe a little easier knowing you're taking positive action to reduce your carbon footprint. Each $4 block purchased ensures that 150 kilowatt-hours of your electricity consumption is renewable. That's pennies a day to keep you in clean, green style.TVA will be modifying the Green Power Switch program.

Customer Supplied Generation

As a CORED customer, you can purchase and install your own approved Distributed Generation system. Customers must notify CORED of potential generation systems, fill out the Interconnection Application, receive an Interconnection Agreement, and must receive approval in writing before the system can begin generating electricity.

Call Before You Dig